1 in 3 Canadians is directly impacted by a neurological disorder. With over 600 different types of brain abnormalities, there is both a desire and a need for alternative treatments. Branch Out accelerates tech and alternative solutions to neurological disorders, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Autism, Depression, Multiple Sclerosis, Concussion, Epilepsy etc. Through our grant program, we provide funding for researchers across Canada.
For more information and/or to book opportunities, email Eric at [email protected]
Branch Out's Giving Opportunities
Give Awareness (1 point)
Book a Branch Out Brainwave. Organize a brainy Lunch 'n' Learn for you and your colleagues. Choose from a selection of exciting and relevant research topics in the field of neuroscience, learn from a budding neuroscientist or two, and leave just a bit smarter! Topics available to choose from:
- Early Life Trauma and Brain Health
- Why Giving is Good for your Brain
- Breathing for your Brain
- Your Brain on Sleep
- Psychedelics: the Next Frontier of Mental Health Treatment
- ... check back for more!
If your company attended a 'Brain Buster' in previous years, the Brainwave is similar, but you'll have some new topics to choose from!
- Minimum 10 employees, maximum 100.
- No cost.
- Available as a virtual or in-person event (some scientists may need to join virtually if they are not based locally).
- We can accommodate most dates and times, except for the following black-out dates: April 11-20, June 13-17.
Give Back (1 point)
Play the Branch Out Brain Health Challenge. Gather your colleagues to form a team (of any size) and take on our Brain Health Challenge! The rules are simple:
- View the challenge card here.
- Select one column for your team to tackle (either A, B, C, or D).
- Complete all five tasks in your column to earn one point!
- For tasks with a social media component, you only need to post to one of the following platforms, and tag both Branch Out and Calgary Corporate Challenge:
Here's how each task works:
Decode. Branch Out provides funding to incredible scientists who are pushing the status quo and leading the way for innovation and alternative solutions to neurological disorders. Step into their shoes and watch as they describe their research – in entirely science-speak!
Watch a video (under 3 minutes) of one of our scientists explaining their research, and then work together as a team to translate their jargon into everyday English. No internet searches or dictionaries allowed! Email your team’s best guess to [email protected]
We’ll send you back another video of the same researcher, this time using everyday English. Your team will have a laugh and find out whether a career in neuroscience research could be for you!
Gift card. Pool together to purchase a gift card to donate to Branch Out. As a non-profit, Branch Out relies heavily on the kindness and support of volunteers. Gift cards are a small but impactful way for us to show our gratitude to them.
Gift cards should be for businesses in Calgary, and have a value between $20-50. Some examples: coffee shops (Starbucks, Rosso Coffee Roasters, etc.), grocery stores (Co-op, Bridgeland Market, etc.), or any small business based in Calgary (Luke's Drug Mart, Silk Road Spice Merchant, Made by Marcus, etc.) Please ensure that your gift card does not have an expiry date.
E-gift cards can be sent to [email protected]
For physical gift cards, they can be mailed or dropped off at our location. If dropping off, please arrange a time by contacting [email protected] Our address is:
Branch Out Neurological Foundation
Suite 202, 838 11th Avenue SW, Calgary, AB, T2R 0E5
Snapshot. As a team, visit a piece of public art anywhere in Calgary, and interpret the work through a neurological lens! Some examples of art you could visit:
- A mural (find a map here: https://yycbump.ca)
- A piece of public art (such as the “Wonderland” sculpture, the bent-wire head in front of the Bow building. See a full gallery here: https://www.calgary.ca/csps/recreation/public-art/percent-for-public-art.html?ivpg=1&)
There are no wrong answers when interpreting art – be as creative and imaginative as you possibly can!Take a photo of your team in front of the art, and upload it to social media. Be sure to write your interpretation in the caption and tag Branch Out and Calgary Corporate Challenge!
Uplift. Many of our supporters choose to donate because someone close to them has struggled with a neurological disorder. Others are inspired by a courageous story they may have heard or read.
Find a resource or a story that touches on a neurological disorder, mental health, brain health, etc. and share it on social media! Some examples might be:
- Someone sharing their experience with a neurological disorder or mental health on social media
- A memoir or self-help book that explores the struggle of living with neurological disorders or a mental health issue
- A news article highlighting new research, funding, etc. about a neurological disorder or mental health
Be sure to tag Branch Out and Calgary Corporate Challenge in your post!
Warm Up. Research has shown how important physical activity is for brain health.
Upload a post on social media showing how your team incorporates some physical activity during the busy day. Some examples:
- Go for a team walk around the block during your lunch break (and take a group photo!)
- Find a stretching exercise video on YouTube, push aside some tables, and stretch together as a group!
- Does someone commute to work by bike or foot? Ask them to share their experience or a favourite part of their route.
- Avid hiker on your team? Get them to share their favourite trail.
In the caption, be sure to mention the benefits of physical activity for mental health, and tag Branch Out and Calgary Corporate Challenge in your post!
Give More (1 point)
Make a high impact donation. Branch Out fundraises to support a wide variety of research into neurological disorders. A high impact donation would allow us to provide a significant amount of funding to one research project.
Have your company's name and logo listed on our website as a supporter of Branch Out.
Choose a particular neurological disorder that is important to you, and we will try our best to allocate your donation to a research project that aligns with it (depending on the applications received this year). Plus, you'll receive the bronze tier reward!
We will create a Branch Out Impact Grant in your company's name. The Impact Grant helps get research outside of the lab, and into the community where it can make a real impact. These grants are awarded year-round and can have a value of up to $2,000. In addition to the bronze and silver tier rewards, your company's logo will be on the dedicated research page for your Impact Grant. To learn more about Impact Grants, click here.
For cheques, e-transfer, or tax receipt information, please contact [email protected]
Complete all three of the above challenges and receive a bonus point!