The Branch Out Foundation Graduate Grant is a matched salary-stipend award for graduate students conducting NeuroCAM studies at partnering universities. Students selected for funding will be awarded a $22,000 salary for the September - August academic year. The student's academic supervisor will contribute 40% of the salary value (i.e. $8800). This grant is for a two (2) year duration, pending approval for a second year from the Scientific Review Panel in a non-competitive review process. Thanks to a generous donor, the academic supervisor contribution is waived for students applying from the University of Toronto
In addition to the research experience, this grant will also give the student:
- Access to training webinars from Branch Out on topics ranging from knowledge translation to entrepreneurship
- The opportunity to present their research at Branch Out community events (e.g. Your Brain on Art)
Eligibility for Branch Out's Graduate Grant
- Research must be in the area of NeuroCAM
- Applicants are required to identify a supervisor/mentor (an Assistant, Associate or Full Professor) from an accredited university for the project who will guide and review the student’s activities
- Applicants can be Canadian or International students working on their project at Universities in Alberta, Saskatchewan or at the University of Victoria, BC, or the University of Toronto, ON
- Applicants must be registered in a graduate degree program. If the applicant is not already in a graduate program, funding is contingent on their acceptance to the specific lab and program
- PhD students applying for this grant must be pre-candidacy at the time of application
- The supervisor contribution can be supplied by broader departmental funding or directly from the supervisor.
- If the research work requires either human or animal ethics clearance, evidence of that clearance must be sent to Branch Out before studentship funds will be released.
- Applicants must supply copies of unofficial transcripts (graduate and undergraduate) and have two academic references submit a reference survey on his or her behalf by the grant application deadline. The project supervisor must be one of the references
- If the student holds multiple awards, the combined funds for personal salary between Branch Out and other awards cannot exceed $40,000. If the personal salary for the applicant exceeds $40,000, Branch Out will adjust funding such that the student will receive a combined total of $40,000 from all sources.
Application Form Link
March 3, 2023, 11:59 PM MST
May 19, 2023
Funding Start Date
September 1, 2023
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Ty McKinney, Research Director, at [email protected]